Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Olé

In response to the Taco John's-Taco Bell debate that we find ourselves in oh-so-often, I usually don't have much to contribute. Where I grew up, Taco John's was all that was offered and I fondly remember Taco Tuesday's when Mom would come home from work with a Six Pack and a Pound for dinner. Those were great nights.

Now that I live in an area where both establishments are near by and one is just as inconvenient to get to as the other, I find myself going to neither. But, given the choice, Taco John's will always win. It's not even a question.

I have only been to Taco Bell once. It's not that I don't like their food; it's that they don't have a potato. I understand that the Potato Olé that Taco John's offers is not, even though given a pseudo-Mexican name, intrinsically Mexican, but I am from the Midwest and I do love my potatoes. (And, as long as we're being honest, neither Taco John's nor Taco Bell are truly Mexican in their offerings. No surprise there.) I find it hard to eat a fast food taco without a potato. The potato is why I eat fast food. I don't crave the burgers, the tacos or the breakfast sandwiches, but pair them with a fried potato and you've got me.

Taco John's, I've got your back, even though it seems like it's us against the rest of the world and their Taco Bell obsession. I will never forget our Taco Tuesday's.

No comments: