Tuesday, December 9, 2008

babies

So, Thanksgiving is done and the dreaded family hub-bub is over...or is it? I was told last weekend that I didn't spend enough time with my sister-in-laws children this holiday. That I was punishing her kids for the fact that my husband and I have struggled to have children. How ridiculous.

I don't really "do" kids. Yes, we are trying to have one of our own since my husband has always wanted children and I am hanging on to two things: 1-I have been told you will always love your own, please let this be true; and 2- my husband is such a good uncle he will be the fun one and I will be the one the provides food, love and shelter.

Back to the in-laws- what did she expect me to do? Sing and dance? Put on silly hats and jump around like the circus came to town? I don't think so. There were 4 children under 3 years...it was an utter snot fest of sickness and germs. I kept the little one out of the plant-she likes to eat dirt, I told one to apologize when he hit the other, I put in DVDs, I took out DVDs...and then when one boy gave me toys and took away toys for the bazillionth time, I finally said that was enough and picked up my book and read.

I was told that this broke her heart to see me not playing with the children...well where was everyone else...not there that's for sure. I spent 4 hours alone with these children while everyone else mulled about the kitchen and did what they pleased. What nonsense.

Other people should not be expected to parent your children and then made to feel guilty when it is not to your specifications. You had them, you entertain them. I did my best.

No comments: