Sunday, December 21, 2008

ho ho ho...

I have a condition known as holiday audio aversion which symptoms include foul language whenever I am within hearing distance of Jingle Bells and complete hysterics when encountering The Little Drummer Boy. Other reactions are constant seeking of the radio during the months of November and December in search of a station not playing O Little Town of Bethlehem or some other sappy sobby holiday tune whined out by some generic singer seeking to strike it rich with the latest release of a Christmas album. This sometimes results in the need to replace the button since the constant pushing will render it useless.

Needless to say, I despise any music related to Christmas...I don't know why but that is just how it is. When I walked into Wal-Mart the day after Halloween and was hit by a wave of O Holy Night, I thought I was going to lose it. It was barely November which meant that I would have at least 50 more days of avoiding that noise.

I also think that it is funny how the day after Christmas, it is as if no one had ever heard of a thing such as Christmas music. You can't find it anywhere to save your life. How does that work? All these stations and stores that are so dedicated to infiltrating our ears with the sounds of Christmas have suddenly forgotten the season and are back to the normal Muzak that is usually polluting our heads. Weird.

So, for the next three days I will continue to desperately avoid the sounds of joy on my daily commute and throughout my day at work. A task that is getting more and more difficult as we near Christmas but one that I must continue to do in order to maintain some amount of sanity in my life.

No comments: