Wednesday, December 10, 2008

control

My dog humps my cat. Regularly. The cat likes it. The love they have for each other is shameless. This is funny when it is just my husband and I but they don't have the sense to only do it in front of family.

I hosted a baby shower for a friend this past summer and what did the dog and cat do? They proudly displayed their love for each other multiple times in the middle of the living room-in front of everyone. What did I do? I laughed.

I have learned that there are things you can't control. The only thing you can control is the way you react in situations. At one point in my life I may have been embarrassed that they professed their love for each other in front of everyone-and ruined what I was trying to execute as the perfect baby shower. Instead, I laughed at them.

I can't control their actions but I can control my reactions. The dog-cat humping went over as a hilarious ice-breaker in a group of people that didn't really know each other. Why would I waste my time worrying about what other people are going to think instead of just letting incidents roll off me with a good belly laugh? I have spent the better half of my young life worrying about what others are going to think and I am done. Now, I laugh.

No comments: